NYC DOT is excited to announce the launch of Get Pumped! Pop Up Commuter Assistance Stations as part of the #biketoberfestnyc cycling promotions in October.
Tune your commute!
Meet staff from NYC DOT's Bicycle and Greenway Program at our #biketoberfestnyc stations below. Staff will be on hand to help you plan your bike commute, offer tips on biking to work, and to pass out free bike maps and tote bags. Bike pumps and hex kets will be available for your use, too.
- Monday, October 2, 7AM to 9AM at Pier 84, Hudson River Greenway at W 44th St
- Monday, October 16, 7AM to 9AM at Williamsburg Bridge, Brooklyn entrance
- Monday, October 23, 7AM to 9AM at Manhattan Bridge, Brooklyn entrance
Get pumped! Mechanical Assistance and Guided Rides
Interactive information stations: Find bike maps, bells, lights, and information at our Get Pumped! stations. Learn about the bicycle program and tell us what you think!
Free Bike Tune Ups: Partnering with Mechanical Gardens, NYC DOT will offer free bike tune-ups on a first-come, first-served basis. Volunteer mechanics from the Mechanical Gardens Bike Co-op will be on hand to help fix flats, adjust brakes, improve shifting, lubricate chains and gears, adjust saddles and handlebars, true wobbly wheels, and diagnose the creaks and shakes that your bike may have picked up riding the city streets. Assistance is available for adults' and kids' bikes." Depending on the level of craziness, we'll also be installing new brake pads and cables with people, adjusting headsets and hubs, etc.
Guided bike rides: Try out biking on a commutable route on city streets as part of a free guided ride! Join us on a short guided ride using a free CitiBike or, bring your own bike. Guided rides will depart the Get Pumped stations at 1PM and last 30-45 minutes. Please bring a helmet. Please note: Ride locations will generally be a CitiBike Station near the Get Pumped station. Please check each link below for more information.
- Sunday, October 1st “Party on the Park” on Park Ave at 118th St. (12pm to 4pm, ride at 1PM)
- Sunday October 15th “Pickle Day” on Orchard St between Delancey St. and E. Houston St. (12pm to 4pm)
- Sunday, October 22nd Jackson Heights Greenmarket *Citibike not available at this location (11am to 3pm)
- Saturday, October 28th Restoration Plaza. Costumes encouraged!
- Sunday, October 29th at “Grand Bazaar, Scary Edition” at 100 W. 77th St. Costumes encouraged! *Tune-ups not available at this location
NYC DOT will also be at high-traffic areas throughout the month offering safety education to cyclists and handing out free lights and bells on Fridays throughout October.