Welcome to the Sunset Park Upland Connectors Project!
This project seeks to develop a plan with the community to establish safe and inviting pedestrian and bicycling routes connecting the upland community to waterfront destinations. We envision these upland connector routes as a combination of pedestrian safety improvements, bike facilities, landscaping, wayfinding and street furniture that all come together to create more inviting environmentally sustainable spaces.
The goals of the project are threefold:
1. Develop a community-based plan to establish safe and inviting pedestrian and bicycle routes connecting Sunset Park’s residential core to waterfront destinations including:
- Industrial Jobs
- Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway
- Bush Terminal Park
- Ferry Landing
2. Prioritize and implement short-term projects
- Received $1.2M NYS Environmental Protection Fund Local Waterfront Revitalization Program grant (NYS Department of State)
3. Identify long term, realizable improvements that can be funded through the capital process
This project will be guided by the community throughout the entire process. Starting in the summer of 2015, UPROSE and the DOT convened a series of Sunset Park walking tours to identify neighborhood priorities. These priorities were expanded upon during the first community workshop held at UPROSE on October 28th.
The DOT will unveil a design based on this feedback at a workshop planned for March of 2016, with a third workshop following in the summer to review final designs.
On-the-ground implementation of the project is expected in summer/fall of 2018.