Welcome to NYC DOT's Project Portal for the 181st Street Busway Pilot project. Over the next few months, DOT will be developing a proposal to improve bus speeds and reliability on 181st Street between Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue in Washington Heights.
A Busway prioritizes the movement of buses and trucks, while limiting general vehicle traffic to local access only.
The 181st Street Busway was selected as one of 9 "Better Buses Restart" projects announced by the Mayor in June.
Quick facts about the corridor:
- 42,000 daily passengers on 5 MTA bus routes (Bx3, Bx11, Bx13, Bx35, Bx36)
- Routes on 181st Street serve neighborhoods with high concentrations of essential workers
- Bus passengers comprise 62%-70% of roadway users on 181st Street
- Average bus speed is 3.7mph
- 69% of Washington Heights and Inwood households do not have access to a car
This page will be a public resource where you can find the latest information on the planning, design, and implementation of the project. Please be sure to leave us comments on the Feedback Map and the Online Survey.