Welcome to NYC DOT's Project Portal for the 181st Street Busway Pilot project. DOT has developed a proposal to improve bus speeds and reliability on 181st Street between Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue in Washington Heights. The Busway will launch on April 26, 2021
A Busway prioritizes the movement of buses and trucks, while limiting general vehicle traffic to local access only.
The 181st Street Busway was selected as one of 9 "Better Buses Restart" projects announced by the Mayor in June.
Quick facts about the corridor:
- 42,000 daily passengers on 5 MTA bus routes (Bx3, Bx11, Bx13, Bx35, Bx36)
- Routes on 181st Street serve neighborhoods with high concentrations of essential workers
- Bus passengers comprise 62%-70% of roadway users on 181st Street
- Average bus speed is 3.7mph
- 69% of Washington Heights and Inwood households do not have access to a car
This page will be a public resource where you can find the latest information on the planning, design, and implementation of the project.