Q52/ Q53 Select Bus Service (SBS) starts on November 12th! As part of the Q52/Q53 SBS project, DOT will reconstruct Woodhaven Boulevard from Union Turnpike to 81st Rd and implement bus and safety improvements. Some of the SBS elements that Rockaways residents can expect on Woodhaven and Cross Bay Boulevards to improve bus service include:
- removing service road medians to create simpler central median with pedestrian refuge
- maintaining three vehicular traffic lanes in each direction
- installing curbside bus-only lanes that allow for right turns to the next intersection or driveway
- restricting left turns from Woodhaven Blvd to Union Turnpike, and
- creating turn bay to allow for U-Turns at 81st Rd for access to Union Turnpike.
And, as an extension that began this past spring to improve transit access to the Eastern Rockaways, the first and last stop of the Q52 will be Beach 54th Street at Beach Channel Drive. DOT and MTA Ambassadors will be at Q52 and Q53 bus stops along the entire SBS route the first two weeks of the launch to help residents adapt to all-doors boarding and the off-board payment system.